Please review the medical conditions and guidelines below. If you suffer from any one of them, you are not eligible to join the registry. A search tool can be found below for conditions not listed.
- If anaphylactic reaction to any allergen, anesthesia, or latex
- Aplastic – If genetic disease.
- Hemolytic – If autoimmune condition.
- Other – If moderate to severe anemia requiring ongoing prescription medication.
- Osteoarthritis – if severe
- If less than two years from the last severe attack requiring oral or IV steroids or emergency care. Also, if dependent on oral steriods.
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Myasthenia Gravis
- Raynaud's Disease
BACK, NECK, OR SPINE PROBLEMS
- Ongoing back or neck pain – requiring medical treatment
- Herniated, bulging or slipped discs
- Rods or pins – still present in the back or hip as a result of surgery
- If currently being treated with lithium or any inpatient medical treatment within the past two years.
BRAIN BLEED OR INJURY
- Multiple concussions – with neurological symptoms or loss of consciousness
- Other significant brain tissue injury
- Bleeding or surgery in the brain
- If any history of cancer other than cured, localized basal or squamous cell cancer or any of the following in situ cancers – bladder, breast, cervical or melanoma
CHEMICAL DEPENDENCY (DRUG ABUSE)
- If currently in treatment or continued substance abuse
- If ongoing or recurrent chest pain
CHRONIC FATIGUE SYNDROME
CHRONIC OBSTRUCTIVE PULMONARY DISEASE (COPD)
- If insulin dependent or taking non-insuling injectable medications
FACTOR V LEIDEN
- If diagnosed with cardiomyopathy, or had a heart attack, a pacemaker, coronary artery bypass, or stents
- If hemophilia A, B, or C, or other factor deficiencies other than Factor XII.
HEPATITIS - VIRAL
HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE
- If uncontrolled, or if consistenty above 160 for systolic or above 100 for diastolic while at rest, with or without medication
- If history of hip fracture, disease, replacement, and if presence of pins/rods in hip or pelvic area
- If diagnosed or had confirmed positive test
- If chronic infection or requires ongoing medical treatment
OSTEOPENIA OR OSTEOPOROSIS
- If history of fractures secondary to disease
- If psychotic disorder requiring anti-psychotic medications and/or intenstive inpatient or outpatient treatment
- Psychiatric hospitalization within the past two years
- If untreated, or if had a seizure in the past 12 months, or if uncontrolled/poorly controlled seizure activity
THALASSEMIA MAJOR OR MINOR
- Hyperthyroid or Hypothyroid – if untreated
- Organ, bone marrow, or stem cells
VON WILLEBRAND'S DISEASE
Conditions Search Tool
This tool is designed for you to search the Gift of Life Bone Marrow Registry’s medical conditions database. The file consists of the most commonly experienced conditions reported by prospective donors. Should you require additional information on a specific condition, please click here to ask a representative. If a particular condition does not appear in our database, please let us know.
Disclaimer: This is intended to provide guidelines for preliminary screening only and must NOT be used for final screening. This is intended to provide donors with a way to determine whether they should apply to become prospective donors. More comprehensive screening will be conducted during the registration process.