Hillel Swab Shabbat
When Gift of Life’s Founder and Executive Director, Jay, was searching for his match, he was told by his doctors that he would need to find a donor who had a similar ethnic background in order to have a chance at survival. However, the worldwide donor registry was severely low on Ashkenazi Jews, Jay’s own ethnicity. His family and friends didn’t want to see him die needlessly, so they launched an ambitious grassroots donor recruitment campaign, resulting in the enrollment of tens of thousands of new donors in the worldwide bone marrow registry.
- Complete all the information on the swab kit’s upper flap. Please print legibly.
- Open the swabs, being careful not to touch the cotton to any surface other than your inner cheek. You may want to open one packet at a time. Only you should touch the swabs to prevent contamination.
- Swallow before swabbing! This is not a saliva test.
- Use each of the swabs in a different quadrant of your cheek, as shown in the diagram printed on the kit.
- Brush the swab against the inside of your cheek in a circular motion for approximately ten seconds.
- Drop the first swab inside the envelope and go to the next one, until all four are completed.
- Once the four swabs are inside the envelope, peel the adhesive strip and seal the envelope to prevent contamination.
- Do not remove the perforated section of the flap. Please double-check your information for completeness and legibility. Your telephone number and email address are essential for contacting you if you are a match.
- Place the entire kit inside the postage paid return envelope. If you have misplaced the envelope, please call our office to have a new, postage paid return envelope sent to you. Or, you can place your kit inside an envelope and mail it to our office at 5901 Broken Sound Parkway NW, Boca Raton, FL 33487.